Careers at Hamillroad
Hamillroad Software is currently looking to grow and take on extra staff, due to a significant increase in work & sales over recent years. We expect to double in size every 6 months, from being a micro business (< 5 people) to a small business (10+ people), as such we are looking for talented people to help with that growth.
Being a small company, we are looking for hard-working individuals, who excel at their job, but are also prepared to muck in and help wherever necessary. Our focus is very much on the long term, not just with our product development, but also with our employees, who we hope will grow with the company as it develops and take on increasing responsibility in their respective areas.
We expect a lot from our employees, just as our customers expect a lot from us, and in return we like to look after our staff; a happy employee is just as important as a happy customer. As well as highly competitive salaries, negotiable depending on experience, we offer flexible hours, occasional home working (as we prefer staff to be predominantly office based), 10% pension contributions, medical insurance, life assurance and other generous and industry-standard benefits.
Due to our company size, we need our employees to work with a large degree of autonomy and self-reliance to get the job done, so are only looking for highly qualified, experienced and motivated individuals. However over the medium term, our intention is very much to grow and build teams of highly skilled people, who can collectively deliver more than the individual.
If you think you have the skill set and experience to match one of the following jobs, as well as the attitude, drive and desire to make a big difference in a small business, please send your CV (PDF files only) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Software Engineer – Short Term Contract
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to work on our product range as part of a small team chiefly to develop our own unique data capture interface to facilitate the automated billing of our next major product release. Prior experience developing printing, screening or imaging products would be very useful but is not essential whereas the ability to develop a very rapid and in-depth understanding of the source code of existing products will be crucial since the successful applicant will be required to work without supervision to enhance the functionality of our existing programs and to create new integrated products.
Beyond creating the bespoke internal data retrieval program, there is also work to be done to enhance our Auraia and Bellissima products; working with lithographic and flexographic printers to investigate printing and press problems and develop solutions to them will be a pivotal part of the role and so a knowledge of the printing industry would be useful. Demonstrable experience of working within the print industry will be a distinct advantage as will the ability of the successful applicant to carry out tests; that will require occasional travel to printers’ own sites.
Good maths skills are required, as is an understanding of basic mechanical and hydraulic physics because understanding how ink flows and how it sticks to printing plates will be very useful.
Primary areas of responsibility:
- Develop a remote data capture facility
- Contribute significantly to the development of our existing screening products: Auraia and Bellissima
- Maintain and improve our existing FirstPROOF and Lightning TIFF/PDF/LEN products
- Develop new screening products on Mac, PC and any new and emerging platforms
Other areas of responsibility:
- Work with Beta sites to research new ideas
- Work with Beta sites to develop new screening products which solve printers’ problems
10 + years’ demonstrable software engineering experience including:
- Extensive Experience of software engineering
- Extensive Experience using C preferably with some C++ too
- Educated to at least bachelor’s degree level (with at least a 2.1) in Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science or similar
- Ability to work independently without close supervision in our small friendly office environment on the northern edge of Cambridge
- Ability to take charge of own portfolio of work and interact closely with the Technical Support team
- In the first instance this post is for a short term contract but the position is likely to develop into a permanent role for the right candidate.
- An attractive salary package with typical software industry benefits is on offer for the right candidate
Please note that we do not deal with agencies.