Careers at Hamillroad
We are enjoying a growth phase due to the popularity of our software and so we are looking for additional talented individuals to sustain our momentum and to help us to stimulate further growth.
Because we are still a small company, we are looking for hard-working individuals, who not only excel at their particular jobs, but are also happy to help with other aspects of our operations if necessary.
We look for long term involvement, not just with our product development, but also with our employees, whom we hope will grow with the company as it develops and take on increasing responsibility in their respective areas to derive maximum satisfaction.
We expect a lot from our people, because our customers expect a lot from us, but in return we look after our staff because we believe that a happy employee is just as important as a happy customer. We pay highly competitive salaries, we offer flexible hours, generous holiday allowances, occasional home working, preferring staff to be predominantly office-based but encourage everyone to enjoy a productive work-life balance, 10% non-contributory pension contributions, medical, dental and travel insurance, life assurance and other generous and software industry-standard benefits such as regular company lunches, free refreshments and a cycle to work scheme.
Due to our company size, we need our employees to work with a large degree of autonomy and self-reliance to get the job done, so we are currently looking only for highly qualified, experienced and motivated individuals.
Our intention is to build teams of highly skilled people over the next few years who can collectively deliver more than the individual and so if you are not yet qualified do come back to this page when you have a little more experience. But if you think you already have the skill set and experience to match one of our job descriptions, as well as the attitude, drive and desire to make a big difference in a small business, please send your CV in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org
RECRUITMENT AGENCIES PLEASE NOTE
We prefer to find our key people ourselves and hire them directly but if or when we need a helping hand we will ask our preferred agencies. Because we are still a small company our staff are all fully occupied and we do not have the resources to take cold calls from recruitment agencies and so by making this clear now we trust that you won’t call us and be disappointed when we are unable to speak to you.
Principal Software Engineer
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to work as part of a small team on our product range, specifically our Auraia and Bellissima products, and to assist in the development of our next major product release. Prior experience developing printing, screening or imaging products would be very useful but is not essential whereas the ability to develop a very rapid and in-depth understanding of the source code of existing products will be essential since the successful applicant will be required to work without supervision to enhance the functionality of our existing programs and to create new products.
Working with lithographic and flexographic printers to investigate printing and press problems and develop solutions to them will be a pivotal part of the role and so a knowledge of the printing industry would be useful. Demonstrable experience of working within the print industry will be a distinct advantage as will the ability and desire of the successful applicant to carry out tests by travelling, occasionally, to printers’ own sites.
Excellent maths skills are required, as is an understanding of basic mechanical and hydraulic physics because understanding how ink flows and how it sticks to printing plates is a fundamental concept which underpins our products.
Primary areas of responsibility:
- Contribute significantly to the development of our existing screening products: Auraia and Bellissima
- Maintain and improve our existing FirstPROOF and Lightning TIFF/PDF/LEN products
- Develop new screening products on Mac, PC and any new and emerging platforms.
Other areas of responsibility:
- Work with Beta sites to research new ideas
- Work with Beta sites to develop new screening products which solve printers’ problems
10 + years’ demonstrable software engineering experience including :
- Extensive Experience of software engineering
- Extensive Experience using C preferably with some C++ too
- Educated to at least bachelor’s degree level (1 or 2.1) in Mathematics, Physics, Software Engineering, Computer Science or similar
- An ability to work independently, without close supervision but also in co-operation with our existing software expert and inventor in our small friendly office environment which is situated on the northern edge of Cambridge.
If this job description inspires you then we’d be delighted to hear from you and to receive your CV at email@example.com
Junior Technical Support Engineer
We are looking for someone who is willing to be part of a team, to carry out the tasks required to deliver a top-class service to our customers. The requirements of the job are varied and might, on one day involve sitting at your desk answering support emails and phone calls, and the next day visiting a customer’s site to help them understand the products.
We believe that people skills are just as important as technical skills. We need people who can communicate well with our customers and who can explain technical issues in very simple terms. Just as importantly, we need people whose values fit with our own ‘friendly’ values.
Primary areas of responsibility:
- Providing 1st and 2nd line technical support for our pre-press software products; answering support queries via phone and email
- Maintaining a high degree of customer service for all support queries
- Taking ownership of user problems and being proactive when dealing with them
Other areas of responsibility:
- Providing internal support for our own staff
- Excellent communication skills (telephone and face to face). Being able to communicate in ‘plain English’ is at least as important as having good technical skills
- Demonstrable experience in first or second line in a support environment
- The ability to learn quickly – we don’t expect you to be an expert now, but we want you to become one
- You will be a self‐starter who is comfortable working alone or within a team
- You are prepared to be flexible and open‐minded about all aspects of the job
- You have a basic knowledge of Microsoft based server and desktop operating systems, networks and office systems
- Demonstrable helpdesk experience
- Pre-press or graphic design experience
- Microsoft Certifications
If you find this job description exciting and challenging then we’d be delighted to hear from you and to receive your CV at firstname.lastname@example.org